Title: Full time writers
Location: Civic Studios office (BKC, Mumbai, India)
Commitment type: Full time or part time basis availability/ project type
Pay: Compensation commensurate with experience
Civic Studios is developing a new, Hindi-first, youth-focused Youtube channel that brings everyday civics to citizens in a fun and engaging way. We will be creating a number of short form video series with a comedy-first approach.
Our formats will range from fiction & presentational sketches, news parodies, how to’s and more. Each video is approximately 3-10 min long.
We are looking for 2 full time writers who can lead our writers room and develop fresh, funny content for our Youtube channel.
They will brainstorm ideas for fiction and non fiction short form content that will connect with our Hindi speaking, millennial audience. We want writers who can think smartly about civic topics and showcase the humour in them.
We are looking for experienced writers who are culturally & politically aware, with great comic timing, and excited to work with civic topics and make our youth audience laugh.
- Excellent fluency in Hindi (spoken and written); knowledge of more languages is welcome
- Proven experience in sketch comedy writing; published or released work is a bonus
- Based in or can relocate to Mumbai (post Covid is acceptable)
- Proven comfort in speaking in front of the camera; prior professional experience is welcome but not essential
- Being up to date with mainstream and independent pop culture, social media trends, and memes
- A sense of ownership and passion to develop a new digital series
- A curiosity to understand our public institutions like police, judiciary and parliament, and figure out how our democratic processes really work on ground
We actively encourage applicants from all backgrounds irrespective of gender, sexuality, caste, class, ideology, and ability, and aim to provide a nourishing workspace for all.
All roles at Civic Studios require an interest in civic engagement and participative democracy.
How to apply
Please send in the following in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: Applying for Writer’s Room
- Your resume
- A short cover note/email about why you’re interested in this position
- Any 2-3 writing samples
- Your social media handles
- How you found out about this position
Read more about Civic Studios and Civic Entertainment:
Introduction Deck: Download by clicking here
- MIT Comparative Media Studies Dept.: How Entertainment can help fix the system
- Professor Henry Jenkins: How Do You Like It So Far? Podcast: Anushka Shah on Civic Entertainment